Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Novice

How a few minutes ago I felt like a novice in the kitchen!

I used the wok yesterday and usually I clean in straight away so I don't have to do a proper seasoning. But since I was lazy... a few minutes ago, I had to clean in thoroughly and season it properly... this is to stop it from rusting.

Since I've done it a million times, I didn't concentrate properly. My mind was elsewhere... and I usually use a kitchen towel to distribute the hot oil evenly around the wok... and I guess I was wiping it too hard and too fast! The hot oil jumped and landed between my thumb and my nail.

The pain went through my nerve system... from tip of my thumb... through my arm... all the way to my neck! I felt numb and pain at the same time! And, I felt stupid too for not paying attention when I'm handling hot oil!

I stood by the cold tap for a few minutes. Flesh keeps cooking for the next 15 minutes I was told in my First Aid class... so if you burn yourself, you should put the burn in cold water for at least 15 minutes to cool it down. But I got bored after two.

My thumb is still in pain... tomorrow there'll be a blister on my finger... but at least I have a rust free wok!!But I've decided that I will go and get a teflon coated wok. At least this will stop me from any further accidents.

3 Comments:

Anonymous duper save said...

you neglect your wok...and it'll kick your arse

....or burn your thumb...same thing

:P

10/13/2006 06:51:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

i never neglect my wok! you calling social services on me? :-p

10/14/2006 09:48:00 am  
Anonymous sd said...

good idea, nspcw national summin dooby doo cruelty to woks :))

10/14/2006 10:49:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home