Monday, October 02, 2006

All the Presents and the Good Times

It was weird waking up and knowing that I don't have to rush out... actually, it was weird waking up and knowing that I don't have to worry about anything as it has nothing to do with me anymore.

So instead of worrying about work, I decided to start with my house chores that I've been neglecting for the last few months as I was too busy and too tired to do. The past few months, I've been coming home and collapsing... so I was looking forward to passing over my work on my last month... but that didn't happen. The closer it was to my last day, the busier I became. Weird...

As I did mention in one of my previous post, it was an interesting last week at work. Let's start with the good...

Weeks ago, the supervisor suggested that on the Wednesday of my last week, we could go for a drink... I thought why not. It was going to be my last week and I won't have much to do. How wrong I was. So I was about to cancel when she kept insisting... that's when I thought something must be going on... especially when we had agreed to go to the Tuns but she came up with an excuse that she left her card in P&P. Still... have to humour her, so, I agreed to go.

When I got there, even though I knew something was set up, I was so surprised by the turn up! Everybody was there and some... a few academics were there and even Mr Convenor (he's not called Convenor anymore... the title has been changed to Head of the Department... but he'll always be Mr Convenor to me!)!!

I was gobsmacked and touched by everybody who made and effort. Before I could even settle down, they passed me the presents!

Again I was gobsmacked by the stuff I received... and I remembered the week before M asked me about some easle and paints she wanted to get for her friend's birthday... she's really good... there were all the things that I suggested to her.

I did keep mentioning that I want to paint when I'm off work and someone actually listened *wink*

Pat then got up to read me the poem she wrote. Again... I was gobsmacked. When she finished, I guess everyone was expecting me to say something. For once in my working time there, I was speechless. I was so touched and seriously I've never worked with a nicer bunch of people.

Pat's peom was wonderful. Each word was thought out carefully and even the background picture was thought through. It was a rooster. The superviser asked me why is there a picture of a rooster... I just said One Wing. Those who read my blog understand what it's all about. *grin*

That afternoon was really good... but I also have to mention what happened in the morning. Sue came into work in the morning and came in to sign her name and gave me a wonderful painting of a cat. And as promised, Sue, here is the picture of your painting for everyone to see! I am really touched with all the effort that everyone made. I felt appreciated by the people that matters. I didn't expect such a big turn out of people. The temp mentioned to me that the people at work must really like me... and I actually felt it. I feel really sad to leave them... and I felt like a failure for letting the minority to push me out. But who knows, it might be for the best.

Bernardo, Kosuke, Gianluca came to say thank you and gave me hugs before I left work on Friday. JL came on Thursday as he wasn't in on Friday... Some PhD students still can't believe I'm leaving... I shall miss everybody. I shall miss my little walk around the department and chatting to Pat on the 5th floor, Gilly and aligoosie on the 3rd floor... T and MW on the 4th floor... knocking on Sue's, June's and Elena's door on the 6th floor... and just sitting in the office that I share with M and have our so many little chats. I even miss the academics and students who come over to my office just for a chat.

I didn't manage to have a lunch time drink with Vic on Friday as I was busy until the end... but after work, M, T, MW and I went to Citties of York and had a great time. It's not that the others could not make it, but I know that they live out of London and on Fridays, they just want to go home. And I also know that some others rather go to P&P where the drinks cost 2 times as much!

Let's just say that we had a good chat... and when Jules came after he finished work to join us, we had a good laugh. It was a perfect way to end my time there. To all of you that matters... thank you for everything.

If my post today sounds a bit flat... guess what... S.600 gave me it's last present... another bout of cold/flu... and I just want to lie down again!

As for the bad times... I guess it doesn't matter anymore. I know how it was... and I know there was a lot of good where it was. Even though some tried to erase my presence even before I left not caring about how I felt standing there and feeling invisible... when you could have just waited for a couple more days... it doesn't really matter... they don't matter and that's the end of it. I've got a lot to look forward to... and a lot of wonderful people to look back to. And I promise I will keep in touch. Leave me a comment on here once in awhile *wink*

4 Comments:

Blogger Peong said...

The appreciation of your coworkers is always a nice thing, especially when you are not so happy in the job. I had a similar experience where some of the people I was closest too were my coworkers ( I had worked there for 5 years), but the job had just run its course, and wasn't right for me anymore. The funny thing is I have come back to a similar job two years later, but still couldn't even consider going back to the old company. I still see people and talk to folks I worked with on a fairly regular basis and when conversation turns to work all I can think is that I made the absolute right decision to move on. I was overwhelmed at the little farewell soiree they threw for me too. One of the gifts I received was a bottle of glenfiddich from my boss, which was not necessarily the best present for a guy who suddenly found himself with an excess of free time...

Good luck on wherever your next step leads, and if that is too much to think about, happy house cleaning...

And sorry about Newcastle this weekend. :-(

10/03/2006 02:17:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

yup... wasn't happy about losing to the scums... i mean man u!

house cleaning is good! think i can get used to being a lady of leisure... but i don'think jules would buy that idea :(

10/03/2006 10:56:00 pm  
Blogger Peong said...

I keep telling sweet trini to finish her book, sell the movie rights and let me live in the lifestyle to which I would like to become accustomed. I have no problem being a house husband.

10/04/2006 08:11:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

i agree with you... i think the idea of being a housewife/husband is sooooooooooo underated!

10/08/2006 09:20:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home