Thursday, September 07, 2006

Where Are They?

Woke up this morning and the right side of my head was hurting. It felt like somebody hit it hard and it's throbbing. Actually, now that I'm sitting at my desk in my office... it is still hurting.

But still I got up had my coffee and switch on the morning news to get the report on the tubes. No reported problems on the tube. Good news. Once in a while I guess Northern Line has to run on time.

So I left our flat just a few minutes before 08:00 and made my way to the tube station. Same old routine apart from the time. Usually I leave either around 07:30-07:45 or 08:30.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened... there's the usual amount of people walking into the station with me... down the escalator... and just as I got to my position on the platform, the train arrived... and so did the weirdness.

There's seldom more than two seats available at my stop. It's either I get a seat or I'll have to wait until Stockwell, when some commuters get off to catch the Victoria Line. Even then I might not get one as I might be standing at the wrong place and the commuters from Stockwell might grab the seats before I could get to where they were. But today... there was more than 10 seats for me to choose from!!

And the weirdness continued. The train always fills up by the time it gets to one of the Clapham stations... but the seat next to me remained empty until Kennington!! Two stops after Stockwell!! And even then, there was not many people coming on to the train... at Stockwell or Kennington.

When it got to Charing Cross, there's usually a whole load of us coming off the train rushing towards the exit... but today, I felt like it was only me... walking up the stairs and through the tunnel towards the escalator to take me out of the station. Only when I got to the middle of the escalator that someone got on the escalator behind me.

Out of the station, even the Strand seemed empty.

The only time I experience this was a day after the 7 July bombing last year, when people decided to stay at home... which was understandable.

But today... did I miss something? Though I dream of the day where the streets are empty and I could travel in peace without bumping into people and getting people's aggro... WHERE IS EVERYBODY??!!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Peong said...

I occasionally find the same phenomenon when driving or transporting around DC, and it usually happens when I'm moving at a time I'm not running my normal routine. It kind of makes you feel like god/the cosmos/fate are following your pattern and put up obstacles for you to deal with, but that occasionally you can give them the slip. Good job on the cosmic fake out this morning.

9/07/2006 02:44:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

is that what it was??!!

well after that easy journey, i had a really hard day at work. guess it balanced it out :(

9/08/2006 07:00:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home