Saturday, August 05, 2006

News on Alesdair Grice

The first time I met Jules, was the first time I met Alesdair Grice... or better known as Ali mad man.

Years back he lost his arm in a motorbike accident but I never thought about him as anything but Ali. He's a bit much for some people to handle and sometimes, I do get a headache around him! Nothing to do with him... he just says what is in his head... no filters and sometimes, people can't seem to handle it. My headache comes when my friends starts to disagree and argue with him. It is funny most of the times... but still it gives me a headache!

Anyway... about a year and half ago, he decided to buckle up and do something and get active... so he decided to compete in triathlons! Yup... a one armed triathlete. Madness... but then, it's Ali and I won't expect anything less.

He jumped into it... his fitness regime was incredible... all he talks about is his bike and fitness regime and which triathlon he's planning next and how fast he is on his bike to work... and sometimes he still talk about girls but not as much as he talked about his bike! He gave up cigarettes and he doesn't drink as much as he used to... and trust me he was a chimney and drank like a fish!

It's great to see that he's enthusiastic about it! I admire him as I don't think I could compete like him!

Last Friday, he came over and was almost in tears! He went to the gym for his evening workout, about an hour he decided to check on his bike and it was gone! According to the CCTV, someone stole it 15 minutes after he went in!

It was a bike geared out for a one armed cyclist! It will be totally useless for anyone unless they've lost their right arm or they have to remodify the bike to suit a 2 armed cyclist! I was annoyed for him!

He was so devastated... I never seen him like that. As I said, he was almost in tears... He kept saying it's worse than losing a girl... he loves that bike! And I was gutted for him as this means that he will not be able to take part in the London Triathlon this weekend!

Yesterday, Jules came home and said that Ali was in the papers! He went on the South London Post website and there was the headline Disabled Athlete's Dream Shattered!

I was like cool! I know someone who is the papers!

This morning, Ali came over... he was like, I've just been interviewed by ITV London News! So at 16:55 I was in front of the TV... and he made it as the second headline for the London News! There was him swimming at the Tooting Bec Lido and him in front of the gym where his bike got stolen... and the final words were 'He just wants his bike back... no questions asked'

I hope he will get his bike back and will compete in tomorrows triathlon... but being in London, I know how unlikely that would be. If he's competing... HEY! I'll be there cheering him on!

Good luck my friend!

3 Comments:

Anonymous lyndt said...

tsk!tsk!teruk betul..i hope he gets it back and do well in the event..aku yg sihat pun tak larat nak masuk yg nie pasal dah terlebih sihatnya *grin*

8/07/2006 10:51:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

dia tak dapat basikal dia balik for the event yesterday. kesian!! eh mak cik... kita main kejar-kejar pun sekarang dah tak larat nak perasan triathlon pulak!

8/07/2006 01:23:00 pm  
Anonymous lyndt said...

apa pulak tak larat..boleh apa except bila dah dapat tangkap, nyawa masa tu dah rasa mcm nak keluar dari mulut aje..hahaha

8/07/2006 01:54:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home