Thursday, August 03, 2006

Do I Have Time to Breathe?

One thing about working in education environment is the relax atmosphere. When I first started this job, it was seriously so much fun. Summer tends to be quiet because the students are away and I get extra days holidays for Christmas and Easter.

But somehow, I can't remember the last time that I had a quiet period... or quiet day... or quiet lunch even!

About a month ago, a girl from Graduate Admissions came over work shadowing me. I showed her all the things that I do and her question was, do you have any quiet periods in the year? That question stumped me. I actually thought really hard for a good few minutes, going through the terms, months and weeks in my head and said 'NO'.

I'm not even sure whether I have any time to breathe!

My Outlook calendar might be quite empty when I start the day... but by 10:00, I will be scrambling to find space to add things on it. Meetings, auditing, courses, phone calls to make, welcoming people, preparing my negotiation for the next meeting, reports to write, the list goes on... on top of that, students and academics keep asking for my assistance! And with all that, I'm having problems finding 5 minutes to light a fag or go out for lunch or get coffee. There are times when I forget to eat! Can you believe that??! ME FORGETTING TO EAT??!!

Then I get home starving! But of course my day goes on. If I'm starving, I have to cook something to eat... and then cleaning the dishes and pots and putting them away... after all that, I just collapse and look forward to the next working day!

And I just realised something... I haven't picked up my paint brush for ages!

p.s. It's 14:27 and I've just read a couple of my friends' blogs... it seems that finding our own time is a common thing at the moment! It must be that time of the year!

7 Comments:

Blogger Ms J said...

hey you....v v important but take time out for ME time.

8/03/2006 02:08:00 pm  
Anonymous Nina said...

Oh my God, your job sounds really challenging...Make sure you ask them for a payrise!;-)

babes, enjoy your time without a baby. Then you'll learn how to breath once every few hours...oh I forgot, you already have a baby right? Teh one on teh same photo as Milla in Vondelpark.

Oh yeah :-)

8/03/2006 11:00:00 pm  
Blogger aycookie said...

same here sissss!

8/04/2006 07:03:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

reply to inconditus:
the weekend is my time... but then, i have to clean the flat, do laundry, food shopping, etc... and expect people calling and saying that they are coming over! hmmmm... maybe i need to rethink this

reply to nina:
funny enough, i was given a payrise yesterday... but i don't think it reflects my work because of my stupid job title!

and yup... i've got a big baby to look after! *grin*

reply to aycookie:
biggest ever hugs to you!!

8/04/2006 07:59:00 am  
Anonymous Nina said...

Congrats re: payrise! I hope it is chunky one! ENJOY and splurge!!!

Oh well, titles can sometimes be more glamourous than the reality and real prospect of a job. Some people have cool titles because the employer wants them to feel OK about being under-compensated. Also it is merely to flash and impress rather than carrying any real weight..

So as long as your job is challenging you intellectually and you have a lot of scope to develop and learn, you can be happy.

Have a lovely weekend being a good Asian wife;-P
Nina x

8/04/2006 04:04:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

reply to nina:
hmmm... i don't think i explained it well. because of my stupid job title, HR did not think fit to give me the payrise that i deserve. it was a seriously tiny tiny amount! maybe i could afford an extra pint a month!

you have a lovely weekend too... and hug milla for me!

hugs!!

8/04/2006 05:04:00 pm  
Anonymous seb said...

my mum used to say to me that if you don't make time, you won't have time.

I never believed her until I got a bit older and wiser (not that I'm wise now but I was worse before).

So as MC Hammer used to say: STOP in the name of love!
or something like that.
Stop and take time to do things. You know it makes sense.

8/04/2006 08:45:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home