Monday, July 31, 2006

What's In A Name...

I needed to rest from looking at work on the screen this afternoon, so I went on the BBC website just to see what's going on in the world. I went to the Asia Pacific news and saw a little headline on the side on Malaysia.

I love reading stuff about Malaysia because usually it's something silly and it usually cheers me up... and this time it's about names...

Malay people usually name their kids with Arabic names with nice meanings... but I guess sometimes there's a slip up somewhere! Not that I would know because I don't know arabic... apart from jumjumtun which means skeleton... or is it? I can't remember, it was years ago that I learnt it at the religious school!

Back to the names... I remember reading in a book by Lee Su Kim called Malaysian Flavours where she said a name might be nice in one language but a no no in another... like... Ai Kan Fook... and... So Kan Ai!

Somehow, even though apparently there's a reason to my name, I'll never know as my father chose my name and I'm not really in speaking terms with him! Maybe I'll ask my mom one day... but I doubt that she knows as back then what my father said goes and no question asked!

Anyway, the Malaysian government is banning some names... and kids cannot be named after flowers or animals anymore!! Or any other silly names! This means that if ever have a kid, I'll never be able to call him/her Belalang (grashopper)! And I've even thought of calling my kid... if it's a boy... Mr Miyagi! How cool is that??!! First name MISTER! I can imagine him going around the playground and saying... I'm MISTER to you!

I am joking of course *grin*

But... the ban on names is not a joke! I guess I can understand... just imagine if there are actually mad people like me!!!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Nina said...

Well, apparently some people want to call their kids 007 and Hitler. F*cking nutcases.

But I still think Jasmin and Orchid are nice names. I don't quite get it that such regulations are so stringent in a very "broad brush" way. You know me, I am pro 'civil liberty'. I wish they also ban foreign names including Islamic names because it could be offensive also to non-Muslims... Indonesian get away with Indonesian names right (free of religious connotation).

Oh yes, we also need to ban Chav-like names all the Alicias, Beyoncé while we are at it...

Then again, we have an imbalanced in our society.

I better stop befor I start blogging in your comment box!

Nx
p.s Can Chinese people be called Su Su?

7/31/2006 08:35:00 pm  
Anonymous seb said...

Chinese people can be called whatever they like, they are bigger in number than anyone else and can kick our butts.

Good thing they are mostly peacefull.

How come it's only the little nations that cause all the troubles?

7/31/2006 08:49:00 pm  
Blogger Ms J said...

hahaha..what if there are nutcases like you...AND me! i wanted to name my kiddo MataHari. now that's a malaysian flower, its also the name of a european spy. how exotic, and betcha the Registration Department folks wont even know Factv #2. So there! the may ban 007 but they cant take MataHari away from me. heh

7/31/2006 10:55:00 pm  
Anonymous ayu said...

used to dislike my name.now i like it.unique and my friend say its EXOTIC..mauakakaka

my old rumate wants to name her future daughter Q.Ixora Zara
i helped her made up that name
sungguh pelik..sure tak lepas kan..kene ban..sheshh

8/01/2006 11:40:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

reply to nina:
i liked your post on this issue ;) somehow i can't seem to take it seriously... oh well... again the government decide to think that the citizens of Malaysia do not have common sense! eh... nama osama anak pak laden ok ke?

reply to seb:
shut up you slag... you fancy oriental girls so you just want to sound all macho and protective!

reply to inconditus:
MataHari sounds really cool... did they say anything about naming it after the sun? but you're in state side now, so i guess you'll be OK with that name.

reply to ayu:
your name is lovely... and your nickname is lovely *wink*
apasal your old room mate nak nama pelik-pelik. kesian budak tu tak boleh eja karang!

hugs to you all minus seb!

8/01/2006 03:02:00 pm  
Anonymous seb said...

What have I done to deserve all you wrath?

I didn't eat at your place for weeks now. I even left ice-cream last time I was there ;-)

8/01/2006 03:51:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

reply to seb:
what wrath? i thought slag and tart is your pet name :-p

oh... guess what... jules and i finished the cookie dough ice cream you left the other day!

8/01/2006 04:02:00 pm  
Anonymous seb said...

It's ok, I decided to get fit now so no more ice cream and lots of excercise.

Why am I doing this? Because I'm a slag and a tart.
A rather attractive girl told I should do more sport (it wasn't your friend Nina ;-).

8/01/2006 04:18:00 pm  
Anonymous Nina said...

ha ha seb, I'd say bring on the sweets...I didn't call you a slag did I? When Yati uses those words, she is only playing 'Jules'. The real Yati would never come out with such naughty words.

I bet you, inside her heart she doesn't think you are a tart.

But sports is good.

The attractive Nina *flirty wink wink*

8/01/2006 07:47:00 pm  
Blogger aycookie said...

hey!i was the one yang bagi die idea taw.sedap lah Q. Ixora Zara
hahaha

8/02/2006 10:11:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

reply to seb:
:-p

reply to nina:
seb is a slag and i mean it... and he loves it! that's the only reason i call him that... you know me... seldom do you hear rude words coming out of my mouth... if ever!

reply to aycookie:
dah... berangan je

8/02/2006 12:54:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home