Thursday, July 13, 2006

TV Moments - #1 Mobility Scooter

I always put on BBC Breakfast news every weekday mornings whilst I have my first cup of coffee of the day. I don't really like watching the news as most news are miserable! I put BBC on just for the London transport news. I don't want to walk all the way to the tube station to find out that it's shut! So, if I know what's going on then I could just get on the bus or walk to Clapham Junction and catch the over ground train to Waterloo.

Anyway, I was sipping my cup of coffee and was just looking at the screen. They were talking about the NetWest 3 who will be extradited to the USA to be tried for the ENRON case. What caught my eyes was just a tiny scene in the report. I wasn't really following the story/news, I was just looking at the moving pictures. The last shot was the NetWest 3 standing on a bridge (I think it was the Millenium Bridge in front of Tate Modern) and for a split second, a granny on her bright red mobility scooter just whizzed by! It looked like she was speeding! As I said, it was just for a split second but it was enough to make me laugh! I think laughter is a nice way to start the day.

But it's not really a laughing matter. I have witnessed a few pensioners speeding in their mobility scooters on on the padestrian pavements! They can be dangerous! How scary would it be to have a bright red mobitlity scooter speeding towards you??!!

But it is difficult to see the serious bit and even if an accident happens and you try to tell the story back to people... can you imagine anybody taking you seriously?

The thing is, they are breaking the law! If I'm not mistaken, anything with wheels and especially if it's motorised are not allowed on the padestrian pavement. Such vehicle, i.e. skateboards, roller-blades and mobility scooters, should be on the road!

Why don't people every complain about the mobility scooter? I don't think it's mean to tell of old people who are speeding in their mobility scooter on padestrian pavements. Like everybody else, they should respect other padestrians and road users and the law.

I say off the pavements and get on the road if you want to drive like a maniac! Leave us padestrians alone!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cheeky said...

This is so True!! i think people should have a license to drive these things.

7/14/2006 01:08:00 pm  
Blogger KB said...

On Scooters.

I quite recently reprimanded an 'old dear' who almost ran me of the path as she sped along. I was mild, 'YOU ALMOST KNOCKED INTO ME!’ That's all I said, pretty tame, really, compared to the usual profanities that I exude when pi$$ed off. It’s not the first time. They are in one of those leagues that cyclists now belong – f**kwits who believe they own the path/road and can treat others with contempt because they are disabled/environmentally friendly. On that matter, I have lost count the amount of times I’ve shouted at cyclists. ‘The traffic lights are FOR YOU TOO, YOU KNOW?!’ I seem to spend much of my life antagonised. Must find myself a suitable bubble to reside for the rest of my days…

KB

7/14/2006 01:09:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

reply to cheeky:
hear hear

reply to KB:
you're just a magnet to disaster, aren't you?

7/14/2006 04:02:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home