Friday, July 28, 2006

Is It Dutch or Is It Turkish?

After I left Nina's... I went back to the hotel and Jules wasn't there!! Well, it is Amsterdam and I didn't really expect him to be cooped up in the hotel...

But I thought... I'll just try one place and see if he's there.

So off I went to Kedai Kopi Belalang... and there he was, sitting there with his head in a book and a glass of coke! He looked up and I'm sure he looked happy to see me!

We sat there watching people passing by and tripping on the pavement (the pavement was a bit wonky with some slabs jutting out) as he has his coke and me with my caffe latte. And I was telling him about my day with Nina and the food... told him I had some ayam belado from the Indonesian take-away... when suddenly a thought struck my little brain!

Well... turkeys that you have for dinner on Christmas day is called ayam belanda in Malaysia, directly translated - Dutch chicken...

SO... are they Turkish or are they Dutch?

Answer on a postcard please...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jules Disambiguation said...

Yes they are turkish or dutch. Some even come from Sommerset. One thing is for sure, they cannot be french because they are cocks or italians because they are diving chickens or welsh because their national bird is the sheep... OK, OK... enough of the slightly politically incorrect jokes at the expense of other (realtively nice) nations.

Back to the real question... are Turkey's turkish or dutch? Well... neither.... Turkeys are actually indigenous of North or Central America.

Also, according to my research, a 'Turkey' is a useless thing or unwise purchase or a foolish or despicable person in CB Radio slang.

Yes, yes... you heard it here first... the REAL turkeys of the world are American!!!

Hardly surprising at all really eh?

:D :D :D

For more info though, check the follwing page to 'disambiguate' the various types of turkeys!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_%28disambiguation%29

7/30/2006 12:05:00 pm  
Anonymous ayu said...

i agree with jules.american definitely:P
or maybe UPMian..i have some thin turkeys in my collge you know!ade burung merak n turkeys sket.tak lawa punye laaa

7/30/2006 02:34:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

reply to jules:
OMG! *shock* you actually did some research??!

reply to ayu:
burung merak & turkey? campur ke?

7/31/2006 07:17:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home