Monday, July 31, 2006

Hitam itu Menawan...

On my last post, I received a comment from Nina saying that her legs look 'hitam melegam', meaning very very extra very black!

I never thought of her being dark skinned. Maybe because I just know her as Nina and love her caring nature and never really think about her physical appearance. Of course I always admire her sense of style... compared to my always grungy look she is very stylish... but the tone of her skin never crossed my mind.

But then, I do understand what she is talking about as I come from a country where fair skin is the symbol of beauty.

I do remember how I loved playing and running around in the open air, exposed to the sun and how dark my skin became! I never really cared about it until the kids at school started calling me names and admiring the fair skinned girls at school. I got a bit confused. Part of me didn't care what they say as I was having fun... but the vain part of me became jealous of those fair skinned people who were admired whether or not they are nice natured. I tried to be like them... looking after my skin and try to be fashionable... but then, it's not me.

I'd rather go and sit in the hot sun with my granddad's made fishing pole by the river in my mucky t-shirt and shorts than sitting indoor looking demure.

In the 80's, there was a advertisment for a watch on Malaysian TV where the catch phrase was 'Hitam itu menawan' (Black is attractive)... I can't remember what type of watch it was but... the ad just made things worse! Kids at school started to use it as an insult... but then, I still didn't care.

I'm never going to have the perfect porceline skin... I'm never going to have a great sense of style... I'm never going to soft and demure...

This is me. I have people around me who love me for who I am... and I they are the people that I care about... and I really do not care about what others think. SO THERE!

10 Comments:

Anonymous ayu said...

heyhey..ayu now ni maken itam but i dont care.merayap is more important than pikir2 pasal kulit..kalo tak merayap,habislah nanti ayu jadik mcm katak bawah tempurung

7/31/2006 10:33:00 am  
Anonymous Nina said...

Hmmmm...

Grunge is also a 'style', babe!

Hitam itu menawan? It depends on who you want to tawan kan? In my case, orang tawanan tu semuanya bengali jual botol ;-)

Hentam aje lah...

'hentam aje lah' untuk engkau, 'hentam ajelah' untuk aku...

*I think I am hugely influenced by P Ramlee movies*

7/31/2006 12:14:00 pm  
Blogger Ms J said...

hahaha...i get called 'hitam' all the time in school. and only when i arrived in british soil did i realise it is a O.K to be dark skinned a.k.a tan olived and exotic. so wot the heck..one man's meat is another's poison. funny how you had considered yourself dark when i thought you're a fair lass in college.~

7/31/2006 01:00:00 pm  
Anonymous lyndt said...

ko hitam ke? aku tgk sama je dgn aku..
tagline tu utk..Hitam itu menawan..Citizen ..aku suka yang tu.. in a good waylah

7/31/2006 03:48:00 pm  
Anonymous seb said...

I think your friend Nina is rather attractive on the pic you posted (to be polite).

From where I come from, being tanned is a sign of good health and is attractive.

7/31/2006 08:32:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

reply to ayu:
the most important thing is you're doing what you want to do... you're too good to be a katak bawah tempurung!

reply to nina:
stylish ke grunge? more like mat motor punya style aje... as you quoted PRamlee... hentam aje lah!

reply to inconditus:
you're so right there. how they envy my skin colour here! the reason i was fair in college was because i was going through my vain period!

reply to lyndt:
it's because you were so active in sport that engko pun tan jugak... so tak nampak sangatlah aku gelap!

reply to seb:
wipe that thought off your head or i'll punch you! nuff said!

8/01/2006 06:47:00 am  
Anonymous Nina said...

Reply to seb - Hi seb, I am nina *wink wink* OK, I am flirting innocently because it is very very rare that I turn head :-) he he (must enjoy the compliment to the max :-))

8/01/2006 08:34:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

nina! don't encourage seb! actually, he doesn't need that much encouragement! oh no!! too late! doomed... it's all doomed! wait... this could be a new post! so i think i'll stop here!

hugs!!

8/01/2006 09:38:00 am  
Anonymous ayu said...

kucing itam menawan ekkk

8/01/2006 11:41:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

reply to ayu:
kucing hitam mana pulak ni?

8/01/2006 03:46:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home