Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Red Sky in the Evening and My Delight

I was sitting in the garden in the evening yesterday with Jules. It started with a disagreement of me being unreasonable but it ended with us having a pleasant chat about Shaggy, raegge music and, when our neighbours made and appearance in their garden, football.

Red SkyAs we were sitting, Jules and I was thinking how lovely the sky looked. It was kind of reddish (OK... it's more pink but I did put 'ish' at the end of red... with an extra 'd' as required by the spelling rules).

And I thought of the old wives forecast poem:

Red sky at night; shepherd's delight
Red sky in the morning; shepherd's warning.
or
Red sky at night; sailor's delight
Red sky in the morning; sailor's warning.

Well... up to you if you prefer the shepherd or the sailor! *wink*

So how true is this? I wonder if there's any scientific study to this old wives' poem. There's always a study on something, so why not this? Well I found an article on Everday's Mysteries website which states:

Red sky at night
When we see a red sky at night, this means that the setting sun is sending its light through a high concentration of dust particles. This usually indicates high pressure and stable air coming in from the west. Basically good weather will follow.

Red sky in the morning
A red sunrise reflects the dust particles of a system that has just passed from the west. This indicates that a storm system may be moving to the east. If the morning sky is a deep fiery red, it means a high water content in the atmosphere. So, rain is on its way.

Does it always work? Well, when I woke up this morning it was raining! You don't know how happy that made me!! With all the heat for the past few days, all I wanted was rain! And it was proper rain! Not the usual mist!! Thunder storm in some parts of England during the night.

The rain did make it feel a bit muggy and humid... but it did cool the air a bit and that's all I want!

I got dressed for work and walked out the door. No umbrellas... I hate umbrellas anyway...

I miss proper rain that they have in Malaysia. Instead of hujan renyai (drizzling rain) it was today as I was walking down the road, it would be hujan lebat (pouring rain). That's when you need an umbrella. That's when I don't mind people carrying umbrellas. Over here in London, when it's just mist (I won't even call it rain), pop comes the umbrella and poke goes you eye! What I hate most is the huge golf umbrellas with one puny guy/girl (let's not be sexist here) under it!

I walked in the rain from home to Tooting Bec tube station. And once I got off at Charing Cross tube station, I walked in the rain to work. I was soaked by the time I got to work but I felt so happy.

I felt like a child again... in Malaysia... when it was a hot day and suddenly the sky opened... and I ran out into the rain (against my mom's order of staying indoors as I might catch a cold) and just splash around. A cooling time on a hot hot day.

7 Comments:

Anonymous ayu said...

gileke??
nk uhan lebat??
i hate the rain!!!
tp kat uk pon gloomy jer..sameje

6/14/2006 01:15:00 am  
Anonymous lyndt said...

i couldn't agree with you more..love the 'rhinos n hippos' (as opposed to cats n dogs) type of rain ;)

6/14/2006 09:06:00 am  
Anonymous sd said...

the rain beats the sun hands down

theres my two pennies right there :P

6/14/2006 10:21:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

ayu - tak suka hujan ke?

lyndt - where have you been??!! haven't heard from you for ages!! and love your hippo and rhino description!! that's exactly what i meant!!

s_d - 2 pennies?

6/14/2006 04:06:00 pm  
Anonymous lyndt said...

i'm around babe..never missed any of your blogs just tak sempat nak post any comments..had baby hippos n rhinos this morning too. what a bliss! :D

6/16/2006 08:44:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

lyndt - aaaaaawwwwwww... that is so sweet! it's getting hot over here again!! wish we had baby hippos and rhinos here! *wink*

6/16/2006 03:43:00 pm  
Anonymous lyndt said...

you'd just hv to settle with kittens and puppies for now dearie *grin*

6/17/2006 07:15:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home