Friday, June 09, 2006

Football Widow

At last blogger is working... I hope... Fingers crossed... Touch wood... and all of that.

Well... this is the time when sane men become superstitious and wear their lucky pants for weeks!! Unwashed of course!! Today is the day when women all over the world with partners will temporarily become widows. Yes, ladies and gentelman, Football/Soccer World Cup 2006 is here! Get in!

16:00hours BST, the ceremony begins! I can't wait. Marcia (a lecturer in the Department) and me are thinking of sneaking off early to watch the football! So what if I got caught... what are they going to do? Fire me? Ooooooooooooo... I'm so scared!

Anyway, I'm in a dilemma at the moment. I have no team to support! Gwawr and me, ever since we've known each other has been supporting Morocco during the previous World Cups... but Morrocco is not in the World Cup this time!! What do we do?

I don't want to support Brasil as they've won the Cup like 7 times. OK they are considered the best team in the world but I don't go for the best team! Errrr... Bernardo, if you're reading this, sorry mate!

I'm not allowed to support Germany by a lot of people... but... ehem... I've promised Marcia (who is Dutch) that I will be supporting Germany with her today... but just for today! It is the opening ceremony... In Germany. Jules... it's just for one match OK babes.

How about England I hear you say? Yes, I've been here for 14 years... but I've never had the inclination to support England in their matches! I have to admit though that I was leaning towards supporting England for the first time as I was watching the a football match in aid for charity, where Robbie Williams was the England captain and Gordon Ramsey was the Rest of the World captain. It was fun to watch celebrities and former footballers actually playing proper football! England won 2-1! And Maradona scored the penalty for the Rest of the World!!

Anyway, at the moment the news around here is all about Wayne Rooney's bloody foot! I'm sorry but is he the only player in the England squad? I sure that the best players are picked to play for England. There's Steven Gerrard and I rate him more than Rooney!! Well... at least if he doesn't play and England didn't win the World Cup, they have an excuse! Lame as it is!

OK... how about a compromise? I'll support England when Rooney is not playing!

But wait! I've just had another look at the list of countries participating in the World Cup!! And I've decided to support Togo!! And why not? They've already won the Miss World Cup competition so obviously that means something!! Their opening match is next Tuesday!! GO TOGO!!

I really can't wait for the World Cup to begin! I just love the atmosphere. Just imagine if you're in Germany in the thick of it all...

8 Comments:

Anonymous David said...

Well, I think that if you're supporting an underdog, you should support ECUADOR. Just a thought!,.....guess what, I'm Ecuadorian!!!!!!

6/09/2006 01:30:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

david - OK... OK... man this World Cup supporting issue is just madness! I think I'll just have to support everybody now!!

6/09/2006 04:05:00 pm  
Anonymous Seb said...

I'll do my best to avoid any footy for the next... erm... however long it lasts.
I don't have a TV and so far, I haven't seen Big Sprouter at all. I even spin the newspaper pages faster when I see they are talking about it.

Unfortunatly, I don't think I'll be so lucky with the world cup.

/I secretly want France to win!

6/09/2006 04:40:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

seb - is it because you is French?

6/09/2006 04:43:00 pm  
Anonymous julesd (live on www.global6.net 8-10pm every wednesday Listen up for a germany vs poland special) said...

ok ok...

i have a team your allowed to follow...

i drew mexico in the sweepstake at work. There is money involved :D

anyways...

When did 'sore foot' become something i cannot spell?

who is the phrase "broken metered-arsehole" supposed to explain anything too?

while i am on the whole rooney thing, i am 100% without doubt that he adds a certain quality to the england team that we won't quiet have the edge without.

However... I hope if he is deemed fit and does play, his 'sore foot' doesn't make him back out of crucial tackles like beckham did when he had the same 'sore foot'

that will cost more then it saves.

hmm.

J

6/09/2006 07:38:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

LOL... babes, the phrase is 'metatarsal fracture' and i think i will do a PhD on metatarsal fracture and how it affects a football team in winning the world cup! plus on how long would it take if the first, second and so on... metatarsal is fractured to heal.

ok... busy... have to do my research now!

6/10/2006 09:13:00 am  
Anonymous s_d said...

i get the feeling england might do it...then again...i do every world cup

why do the english heroes (rooney...a hero?....heh) always seem to break their metatarsals...then insist they're ok for the world cup

what do ya think our opponents are gonna do?

as fun as it will be seeing the ironically named crouch nursing rooney of the pitch (possibly gay lovers)

...i blame yati

6/10/2006 10:10:00 am  
Blogger youmaythinkimadreamer said...

Hey
I am bored stupid and really really fed up with all the football.
I can't talk, ask questions or watch anything else on the tv at the mo!
I've decided to arrange my own World Cup womens bash. Me and my mates are all going "ghost hunting" We've booked in with www.hauntingbreaks.co.uk - going to spend the night in a spooky castle after being wined, dined and taught how to use all the equipment they use on "Most Haunted"
Can't wait and the best thing is my husband won't even miss me!!

6/30/2006 05:54:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home