Friday, May 12, 2006

Selipar Jepun

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Selipar Jepun. Must be one of the most comfortable and practical things in the world! Any Malaysian must understand what I mean by this. Selipar Jepun, loosely translated, is Japanese slippers... or more commonly known as flip-flops. Why on earth am I writing about flip-flops? Do I have to justify myself?

Well... a couple of days ago, I was getting ready for work. I have a pair of flip-flops which I use around the flat. So I put them on and pottered about around the flat. Switched on the news and sat back and relaxed with my cup of coffee. That's when I noticed the time! Damn! I'm late! Well... it was 07:33BST. Let me explain why the sudden panic.

Here, in London, when you're commuting, timing is essential if you want a seat in the tube. I've discovered if I leave at 07:30BST, I always get a seat in the tube. Anytime later than that... not a chance in hell or heaven or earth, unless you're pregnant or of a certain age (I didn't want to say old). This is an incentive for me to get fat as people do sometimes get confused between a pregnant lady and a fat bird. Don't say that I'm mean! It happens!

Anyway, half way down the road I realised that I still had my flip-flops on! I was in two minds whether to keep on going or go back and change. I decided to just keep on going. I mean, flip-flops are fashion accessories now... and working where I am, I can get away with it!

The thing is, in Malaysia, wearing flip-flops to go out of the house is the norm. Everybody in Malaysia has a pair of flip-flops. They are not used as a fashion thing. They are used because they are comfortable, practical and cheap. Well, they used to be cheap! I remember them being sold at the night market for RM1 (that's Ringgit Malaysia) for 5 pairs! They were not really in funky colours like you get them now. They were usually blue... and sometimes when you're lucky, they have colourful spots on them. But then you can't really see the design once you've put your feet in them. 5 pairs and the whole family was sorted and of course a pair for the bathroom!

Now they've become very fashionable and the prices has shot up! I think the cheapest you could get from the night market is RM5 for a pair! Outrages! And I only wanted a pair for my mom's bathroom as the ones she had has snapped... this was when I was back in Malaysia last November.

So, I was happy enough just wearing my flip-flops that day... and yesterday (I took a photo of my feet in my flip-flops under my desk). It felt like home.


The only thing is I can't wear that pair in the flat anymore. I don't know about everyone else but I just find wearing the same footwear that are used for outside indoors pretty dirty. But not to worry, I've come prepared! I've got another pair!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Seb said...

Flip Flops rule...

But is it ok for a man to wear them?
I'm afraid I'll look a bit g@y!

5/12/2006 03:02:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

seb - you are g@y. the question is do you want to look any more g@y-er

5/12/2006 03:07:00 pm  
Anonymous ayu said...

ya betol!flipflops are soooo cool!and now i have like 5 of ems!huhuhuhu

5/12/2006 03:11:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

ayu - 5 pairs! berapa harga? buy me another pair please. yang murah je tau! just to wear in the garden

5/12/2006 03:20:00 pm  
Anonymous ayol said...

heheh..kat KL banyak yg rm10 yg lawa2..kat jb,slipar yg samer die pegi tarok harge 19.90..siotje.jauh arge!kalo kat giant lagi murah,naseb2 dpt yg rm2.99..hahahah

5/13/2006 01:50:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

betul, betul..kat giant can get quite colourful. rm 3.99 to wear kat rumah..i've got blue with swirl design, army combat..mak ooi! boleh pening nak choose :D
hey! but yours not too bad..yg orange tu yummy..berapa harga?

lyndt

5/13/2006 02:47:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

I think I can start a revolution on this topic!!

ayol & lyndt - how is it the prices are different in giant? ayu pergi giant kat jb ke kl?

lyndt - the orange flip-flops is reef. i bought it with ayu in kl in a sale! ayu ingat tak berapa harga?

5/13/2006 09:10:00 am  
Anonymous ayu said...

slipar kak ati tu mahal sket laaaa

kat giant kan ade byk koleksi slipar jepon so the harga varies la

mak kate kalo kak ati nk slipar jpon,kne balek mesia.mak kate post mhl...wakakakaka

5/13/2006 02:37:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

right on Ayu..
ha..balik le gi shopping slipar jepun *snort*

lyndt

5/15/2006 04:44:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

so... I'm suppose to pay around £500 to balik malaysia for a pair of RM2.99 flip-flops? Do the maths! *laugh*

5/15/2006 11:47:00 am  
Anonymous Julesd said...

Julesd's carap po hem about flip flops

What could possibly be bad about a flip flop
No laces to tie, so you can't go wrong
Even cooler than the sounds of hip hop
And in Australia they call them "thongs"

:D

5/17/2006 09:59:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

i think you're thinking of a different kind of thongs *roll eyes*

5/17/2006 01:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home