Friday, May 19, 2006

Podgy Piranhas

On my way to work this morning, I did my usual routine of picking up a Metro paper when I got to the tube station. It is a free newspaper that is left in tube and train stations for commuters. I think it's pretty cool because I don't want to pay for bad news as I really don't like to know how bad the state of the world is today but still want to be in the loop (if you know what I mean), and Metro gives me just the right dosage for that.

Flip through the boring bits on politics and how 5 illegal immigrants manage to get cleaning jobs in the Home Office... blah blah blah... ooooooooooooooo... what's this incy wincy little story right at the bottom of page 4?

A shoal of podgy piranhas has been put on a strict diet. Half-portions are now being served to the insatiable predators at Birmingham's Sea Life Centre after they become overweight in just one month. The fish are capable of devouring a whole pig in minutes and can literally eat themselves to death said the centre's Lynsey Thompson. In the wild the fish can go for days without food so being fed every day with chunks of trout and prawns made them too plump. 'We'll make sure they slim down,' she added.

I thought, hmmmmmmmmmmm... interesting. Here's my question: when do you use shoal and when do you use school? Anybody has any clues on this? I decided to consult the know all Wikipedia and it says:

Shoal (or school) is the collective noun for fish. Animal behaviourists use the term "shoal" for any group of fish, including mixed-species groups, reserving "school" for more closely knit groups of the same species swimming in a highly synchronized and polarized manner.

OK... so basically it is saying there is no difference only preference. Is this true? Anybody wants to form an opinion? Answer on a post card... or at least on a post comment!! Ha ha ha... I can be so funny sometimes. OK, stop it! You're scaring me, myself and I now!

2 Comments:

Anonymous ayu said...

how come long time no updates?

5/21/2006 02:25:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

ayu - what? just one day i'm not writing my crazy thoughts i got critisised? :-p anyway, what's your answer to shoal or school? :-p

5/22/2006 06:48:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home