Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Mind Your Language

Resting the roast and putting in the Yorkshire puddings in the oven, I picked up yesterday's Sun paper and have a quick flick through. It is fine to read yesterday's or last week's Sun paper as I don't take it seriously. I only read it for comedy value. The gossips and Dear Diedre (Agony Aunt) column just makes me laugh! I really don't understand those people who actually take this paper seriously!

Anyway, yesterday when I picked up the paper for the first time, I came to a headline which i read to Jules - '3 year olds can be racist'. When I saw the headline I thought 'Oh dear'. When I read it out to Jules, he was furious and said 'That's out of order!' I was like, damn right it is! Then he continued 'It is well out of order that they, 3 year olds, can be racist and I can't!'

Wait a minute!!! What??!! He told me to read the headline again. Hmmmmmm... word play, huh? I know the editor did not mean it that way but the way it's written could mean that 3 year olds are allowed to be racist! I know it's not a laughing matter... and I really don't want to go on about it either! But think about the language usage...

I think too many times we say something and it's taken out of context. It is really difficult this day and age as you have to be extra careful about what you say and how you say it! Everything could be misconstrued. Everytime I say something, everytime I write something, it's short and to the point. Basically I do that to cover my big fat arse!

So, if I sit quietly in a crowd, not saying a word... it's not because I'm shy or have nothing to say... it's just that I don't want to get into trouble so I better shut up now!
Dinner's ready...


2 Comments:

Anonymous ayu said...

wats the black thingy on the pudding tu???ayam ?

5/11/2006 06:14:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

ayu - that black thingy on the pudding are roasted red onions... bukan ayam!

5/11/2006 10:38:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home