Sunday, May 07, 2006

Marble Cake

It was my birthday last week and since nobody got me a cake, I decided this week to bake my own cake! I've been reading Nina's blog ever since she started it for baby Milla (who has the most adorable hugest eyes ever!). I've known Nina since I first came to England and I've always loved each and every food she cooked for me, no matter how simple the dish is! Her 'telur masak kicap' (fried egg in soy sauce) was/is/and forever will be yummy!

Anyway, on her blog she mention her new passion on baking. She said how she used to be afraid of baking. For me, I was never really afraid. I bake loads of cookies but I never really had to bake cakes because mom bakes the yummiest cakes! The only cake I haven't tasted from mom is her fruit cake... apparently is so good that people actually order her fruit cakes by the tonnes (OK I exagerate... she is my mom! But she does take orders for Eid... let me know if you want some too). Sorry mom but I don't like raisins! I digress again! Back to what I wanted to say...
Nina mentioned this amazing website called the joy of baking... and I thought 'Let's give it a try'. So I looked for one of my favourite cakes on the site... as the title of this blog stated... Marble Cake. My first step, I bought a ready made cake from the shop! Well... I have to compare my creation with something! Then I bought all the ingredients the best that I could! Hmmmmmmmmm.... no cake flour in Tesco, Sainsbury's or ASDA (all big supermarkets in the UK). Three strikes... oh well, it must be the same as the sponge flour then, so that went into my basket!

With all the ingredients in front of me, I rolled up my sleeves and started! It wasn't easy as I don't have an electric mixer! Or maybe I should have invested in a gym subscription! Mix... mix... mix... into the cake tin... into the oven. 1 hour later... voila!



Not bad... even if I say so myself! Let's give it the 10 minutes test to see if the middle bit falls in. Wait... wait... wait... YEAH! I did it! One slice for Jules... one slice for me... and 2 cups of coffee. I love weekends...



p.s. I gave the ready made cake to Seb... he cycled home happy! *grin*

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hihihi..actually u tak kenal i..tapi ayol suruh komen..so nak komen psl kek and makanan tu..tapi tak tau nak tulis ape..yela tak rasa,tgk je tak feel la..heheh,tapi dari luar nampak lawa..

5/11/2006 05:46:00 am  
Anonymous ayu said...

ayu:mak.mak kate kek kak ati ape aritu?
mak:ckp ngan kak ti,suruh dieh tarok...
ayu:bukan2.nak komen mak.nak komen mak yg kutok2..ayu tgh nak kutok dieh ni
mak:mcm mane nk kutok,bukan rase pon

so..i cannot kutok your cake,u see..ehehhe

5/11/2006 05:46:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

ayu - asyik nak kutuk je!! don't you have anything better to do? :-p

anonymous - terima kasih... tak payah rasa... tengok je gambar... lawakan? kalau dah lawa... sure sedap ;-) oh.. next time leave your name on your comment so i don't have to call you anonymous!

5/11/2006 09:49:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sure sedap rasa..i can vouch for that coz' i'm still alive after eating all the stuffs she cooked before :P
damn! am i a good friend or what..hehe

lyndt
p/s: think aku might try out the marble this weekend.put up your pizza pix dlm friendster kalau this tak boleh lah

5/12/2006 02:44:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

lyndt - our pizza was out of this world wasnt it?! OK bila aku masak pizza this weekend or soon, I'll post it up! I should try to create a section just of food, shouldn't I?!

5/12/2006 02:36:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup! but the best part was the process of making it...nasib baik tak kena ban mak ko from the kitchen.

ha, bukalah satu on food..that would be interesting since we love food soooo much..unfortunately, my bod shows the lurve wayyyyy tooo much *grin*

lyndt

5/15/2006 04:51:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home