Thursday, May 25, 2006

Kofte Kebab, Bread and a Blast from the Past

Oh yes... I'm posting (and boasting) about my cooking skills again! I'm such a good cook, my mom would be so proud of me if she knew! Well... I never really cook for her. When I'm back at her place in Malaysia, she is the Queen of the Kitchen! She'll start cooking first thing in the morning... OK... not the first thing. She'll get up like weird hours of 4am or 5am. Pray... well, somebody has to pray for my wellbeing... and then she cooks breakfast! Followed by lunch and dinner... and snacks in the middle! And if she doesn't cook, I'll just take her out for food or get a take-away! It's just so cheap for me to eat out with her that I don't bother to cook when I'm in Malaysia.

OK... lame excuse I hear you say. But when I'm in Malaysia, I'm using up 2 weeks of work annual leave! I deserve to relax a bit! I do do my bit of work. Like when the sky decides to open, because when it rains in Malaysia, trust me, it rains! Mom would scream at us kids (who are not kids anymore) to go and get the washing off the line! I wonder why we bother. By the time we and the washing get in the house, the washing is soaked and so are we! I love my annual visits!

Anyway... Last night (Wednesday) I decided to make kofte kebab for dinner (or tea if you're from up north... of England that is). I got a bit tired of making the same thing with mince meat. It would either be bolognese sauce, chilli, meatball, burger or yati's special pie! OK... Jules been asking me for the pie again. I haven't made it for ages! I'll make it soon... promise!

So I thought it would be a good idea to make kofte kebabs. Who cares if I don't have all the ingredients. I've got the mince which is the most important ingredient and all I have to do is shape it into sausage shapes and stick them on bamboo skewers. Easy! I love easy food. But before preparing the kofte, I should prepare the bread first! It will take time for it to rise!

I still buy sliced bread but sometimes is just nice to have nice hot bread... mmmmmmm... fresh from the oven. All that's required are flour and yeast and a bit of milk and some muscle to knead the dough! That's it! I decided to chuck some thyme and chopped garlic in it too. I can smell the garlic. Yummmmmmm... Now I'll just have to wait for the lump to grow.

Why isn't it growing? Grow lump grow!! Was the water not warm enough? Maybe the yeast doesn't like garlic or thyme or both!!! OH NO!! OK... relax... let's just start on the koftes.

Let's see what I have in the kitchen... garlic, ground cinnamon, thyme, paprika powder, salt, olive oil, lemon juice, ground pepper... that will do. Mix it all up... put it on skewers. Yes... koftes to rival all the kebab houses in Tooting!


And will you look at that... the dough did rise to 3 times its original size!!! And I was worried for nothing!

Oooooo... Jules radio show is almost finishing. He DJ you see on global6.net every Wednesdays from 20:00-22:00 with MC Tiny! OK enough plugging... I've got the chutney-ish sauce to make!
Another of my experiments! I love it when I just have to improvise! Chopped a red onion... can of chopped tomatoes... oooooooooooo pickled gherkins, chop, chop, chop... pepper, salt, sugar, balsamic vinegar, sour cream... viola!


As I was making dinner/tea I was looking at Miss J's blog... I should call her Mrs J as she is a married woman now! I came across her photo and thought she looks just like Miss J my room mate when I was in college in Malaysia. I kept scrolling looking for more photos and kept thinking it must be her, but I wasn't sure... until I got to the photo of her lying on her tummy and I was like YES THAT IS THE MISS J THAT I KNOW!!!

I know... how could I recognise her when she's lying on her tummy but have doubts when I was looking at her face?

When we were room mates, I occupy the top bunk. Everytime I wanted to speak to her when we were in our respective beds, I'd look down and that was how she lies down. Always on her tummy! While she was sleeping or reading a book or munching some snacks! And in the picture, the position was spot on! Faces and bodies change but I think body habits doesn't!

With that confirmation in mind, I e-mailed her and she replied!! The reason I'm writing in here first before replying to her e-mail is because I'm so gobsmacked! After all these years... probably almost 15 years... I found her again! Plus I didn't expect her to reply so quickly! I thought she might have jetted off for her honeymoon as she just got hitched!

Congratulations girl!! Congratulations to Mrs and Mr J!

That was my blast from the past...

4 Comments:

Anonymous S_D said...

i cant help but notice you havent added a phone number and "free delivery"

iwant some!

5/26/2006 12:41:00 pm  
Blogger yati said...

s_d - my kebab house is not for delivery... it's first come first serve basis... actually, first come you get served after Jules basis! :-p

5/26/2006 04:13:00 pm  
Blogger danyanova said...

Bloody hell guv!

I miss those kebabs. Those Lolita and Taza kebabs.

Yum Yum :) Yum yum yum :) Yum yum yum yum :(

When i go back I swear thats all i'll have the entire time.

5/29/2006 11:49:00 am  
Blogger yati said...

danyanove - lol... i've never been called guv before but i guess there's always a first time! love it *grin*

i guess i better start taking orders soon! welcome to yati's kebab house!

5/29/2006 12:39:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home